Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Last Day on The Earth



Morning 6.35 am; a Friday. I was tucked in my bed. It was a little windier outside than usual. There seemed to be something abnormal about the weather. The temperature was constantly fluctuating. Suddenly there was an aloud thud outside my door which woke me up. Annoyed, I opened the door. I could not see anyone outside, no one even in the corridor. It annoyed me even more. I could not understand; who knocked on my door and why the hell somebody buzzed me like that. “Some silly prankster kid from the neighboring flats” I thought. Disgusted, I slammed the door and walked towards my bed. I took off the slippers and squeezed myself inside the blanket. 10 seconds later I woke up with a start. As my eyes opened, I remembered the star fish which I failed to notice when I opened the door. A Starfish outside my door!!! Where did it come from? My mind was tizzy by now. I rushed towards the door. I opened the door just to reconfirm the bizarre sight. There it was!! A big dead star fish!! I was even more surprised to see the corridor being completely wet as if someone has splashed few buckets of water there. But it was the sand mixed with the water that caught my attention. To understand what could have happened, I looked towards the balcony. I could not believe my eyes as I saw a big fishing trawler just few meters outside the balcony in very unstable condition as if it could hit the adjacent building any time!! What on earth is it! I realized my flat was on the 12th floor!!! A fishing trawler in air??? I dashed towards the balcony and looked down. My eyes almost popped out with horror. ”Oh My God”, I cried out loud I looked down to find water as high as 4 stories of my building. There was water everywhere. I reached out for the railing as I suddenly felt dizzy. I was stunned. My mind slowly started processing the information. Everything was inundated by water which was at least 4 stories high. The high wave was the reason for the star fish being thrown up to the 12th floor of my building. I was aghast! What should I do? What happened…. I thought it’s a good idea to get myself to a safer place before the water level rises up to my floor or the building collapses due to impact of the waves. I rushed inside and started packing the essential items in my back pack and left the flat. The lift was not working. I took the stairs and went down till the 5th floor. I found that the fifth floor was also inundated. The water was as high as half the floor level. “Now how do I get outside?” I wondered. "I don’t even know how to swim." I was trapped.. Suddenly I saw a floating dust bin which was kept on that floor for common use. ” My life saving boat” I thought. I pulled it towards me. Thankfully it was big enough to accommodate me. I could not see any other thing floating around. I did not wait any more and slipped myself into the drum (dust bin), it was empty but the stench was unbearable. Just cannot express the terribly nasty smell inside the drum, as if it had rotting meat in it. I felt really nauseatic. “Good that even with my weight, the drum is still floating” I thought. I found a small wooden plank and used it as an ore to paddle my lifeboat. It took me outside the building through the balcony exit. I desperately looked all around, trying to get some help. My life saving drum was now wobbling badly as the big waves shook it and it was not a pleasant experience I could see the floating debris everywhere, even saw a morning newspaper floating. The headline on the front page said: “Destruction on its way”. It reminded me of something. I immediately glanced at the date on my watch. It was 21st Dec 2012. Before I could think any more on the importance of the day, I saw a big wave heading towards me. Around 300 feet high, the monster wave , just swallowed a 20 story building and was heading towards me. A cold chill ran down my spine. Crap, I felt am dead already. I wished my drum had a speed motor fitted in it. I nervously looked around. My mouth was dry. My heart was throbbing. I had no clue how to escape the giant wave. It was getting darker as the deadly wave was getting closer. It raised its head like a giant serpent. The lights began to dim as it approached closer. I closed my eyes with fear…Suddenly I heard a beeping sound which was irritating. I tried to figure out from where the sound came. I opened my eyes. It was the alarm clock!! On the table near the bed. I was in my bedroom!! What a nightmare. I felt my forehead. I was covered with cold sweat. Thank God I am alive. The monstrous wave of the dream was still fresh in my mind. I checked the time. It was 7 am, “time to get ready for office” I thought. I felt like thanking my alarm clock to get me out of the deadly experience.

Well, forgive me my dear readers for giving such an awful start to this article, but this might had truly happened if the predicted “Dooms Day” as per the Maya long count calendar would have come true. Now that we are still alive post 21st December, 2012, we see the “Dooms Day” as a myth. But if this had truly happened, then what? Complete disorder…

Here it goes,

One fine day, it is declared that, after certain no. of days we would see the day and night for the last time on this earth. Dooms day is inevitable. From next morning onwards, there is no milk in the fridge as the milk man has left the city and decided to spend his last few days with his close ones in the village. No water to bathe as the staffs in the water supply department are not reporting to office. No electricity to switch on light, fan or TV as the staffs of electricity board are no exception. Mobile phone networks are down, even if they are functional, running huge congestion. No one reporting to office; you would not be surprised to see the empty bays on a regular working. The operations of big factories have stopped. The doctors are not available in the clinics or hospitals to treat patients. Children are not going to school as schools have been closed. The general stores have been shut by the shop owners in fear of possible vandalism; you have money but no shop is open to supply what you want. There is nothing to eat at home. Prisoners have broken the jails and escaped. There are incidents of robbery, theft, murder and criminal activities everywhere. The law and order has completely collapsed. One need not look any further. It seems like a scene straight from Hell.

Let’s stop here. We don’t have to think any more of such deleterious thoughts. We are safe as the marked day so called as the end of the world is a past now. But what is really meant by- “End of the world”?
Human race has existed on earth since more than 50000 years. Since the inception, the human race has evolved a lot in all aspects and has proved itself as the most advanced species of God’s creation. But perhaps now we are going in the reverse direction. We have started showing inhumanity as we have lost respect for each other. We have created differences by dividing ourselves into casts, creeds and religions. We fight with each other while trying to prove that our own religion, caste or creed is better than others. We have created boundaries and we have set our own acquaintances; we don’t mind arguing, insulting and if needed fighting with the rest. We have developed powerful weapons of destruction like the Nuclear bomb which can create havoc and bring nuclear winter on the planet. We take pride in developing and maintaining large stocks of such deadly weapons describing ourselves as advanced. We are spending a major portion of our revenue on defense systems as we have threats from own species; Humans, and we call ourselves civilized. Today, the ratio of instances of human killed by human beings is far higher than human killed by natural or any other disasters in some part of the world because of terrorism and continues wars. Humanity has been killed. Are we not heading towards the end of the world because of our own deeds? We don’t have to wait for a super natural act of nature for the destruction. Perhaps we ourselves will bring the destruction to this planet.
Will the idea of "One world" would ever become true? If not, removing all the boundaries but at least by reducing the distances between the hearts? Perhaps the answer is “No”, but had this been “Yes” we could have really proven ourselves to be God’s best creation.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best story in this blog..
    Keep writing lyk dis...

    ReplyDelete